Scottish fossils / Nigel H. Trewin.
Trewin, Nigel H. (författare)
- ISBN 978-1-78046-019-2 (hbk)
- Edinburgh : Dunedin Academic Press, 2013.
- Engelska x, 118 sidor.
- Introduction -- Bacteria -- Algae -- Plants -- Sponge -- Corals -- Worms -- Bryozoa -- Brachiopods -- Moullusca : Cephalopoda -- Mollusca : Bivalves -- Mollusca : Gastropods -- Echinodermata -- Graptolites -- Arthropods -- Vertebrata : Fish -- Vertebrata : Amphibians -- Vertebrata : Reptiles -- Vertebrata : Mammals -- Trace Fossils.
- Scotland boasts some of the most famous fossil localities in the world, and, for a small country, has a remarkable fossil record with almost every period of geological time represented by Scottish localities. These localities provide snapshots of the plants and animals that have inhabited Scotland through deep time. They range from the superb fossil fish of Caithness and Angus that inspired early paleontologists - such as Hugh Miller, almost two centuries ago during the birth of the science - to modern discoveries such as the dinosaurs of the Isle of Skye, as well as ancient amphibians and scorpions from central Scotland. This book will appeal to all those with an interest in fossils and the history of life on Earth. It provides a virtual museum of more than 100 of the most scientifically important, interesting, and, at times, controversial fossils for which Scotland is well known. Many of the specimens involve interesting stories about their famous finders and their theories on geological time. Specimens have also been chosen to present a wide range of fossil plants and animals. The book's examples were selected from both public museums and from private collections, brought together in a celebration of Scottish fossils. Many of the specimens illustrated are exceptionally rare, even unique, and are normally hidden from public view. Other examples include more common fossils that any collector may hold a reasonable expectation of finding: fossil fish at Achanarras Quarry in Caithness, ammonites and belemnites found on Skye and at Helmsdale, and brachiopods and crinoids on Bishop Hill in Kinross.
- Fossils -- Scotland (LCSH)
- Fossil -- Skottland (sao)
- 560.9411 (DDC)
- Udb:k (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit