Moral passion and Christian ethics / Robin Gill.
Gill, Robin, 1944- (author.)
- ISBN 9781316817285
- Publicerad: New York : Cambridge University Press, 2017
- Engelska 1 online resource (ix, 230 pages)
Serie: New studies in Christian ethics
- Relaterad länk:
https://doi.org/10.1... (Table of contents / Abstracts)
- Moral passion in new studies in Christian ethics -- Is moral passion germane just to theologians? -- Christian public ethics -- Faith as an option -- Moral outrage -- Collective moral passion within faith traditions -- Moral passion as enemy-love.
- In this book, Robin Gill argues that moral passion and rational ethical deliberation are not enemies, and that moral passion often lurks behind many apparently rational ethical commitments. He also contends that though moral passion is a key component of truly selfless moral action, without rational ethical deliberation it can also be extremely dangerous. Gill maintains that a reanalysis of moral passion is overdue. He inspects the gap between the 'purely rational' accounts of ethics provided by some moral philosophers and the normative positions that they espouse and/or the moral actions that they pursue. He also contends that Christian ethicists have not been adept at identifying their own implicit moral passion or at explaining why it is that doctrinal positions generate passionately held moral conclusions. Using a range of disciplines, including cognitive science and moral psychology, alongside the more usual disciplines of moral philosophy and religious ethics, Gill also makes links with moral passion in other world faith traditions.
- Christian ethics. (LCSH)
- Compassion -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (LCSH)
- Desire -- Religious aspects -- Christianity. (LCSH)
- BJ1275 (LCC)
- 241 (DDC)
- Cf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (Cambridge Core All Books:Full Text)