Quantifying Measurement [Elektronisk resurs] The tyranny of numbers / Jeffrey H. Williams.
Williams, Jeffrey H. (författare)
- ISBN 9781681744339
- Publicerad: San Rafael : Bristol : 2016
- Engelska online resource (xii, 10, 17, 7, 13, 15, 9, 6, 15, 12, 16 s.)
Serie: IOP Concise Physics, 2053-2571
- Relaterad länk:
https://doi.org/10.1... (Table of contents)
http://iopscience.io... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- The tyranny of numbers -- The error in all things -- A language for measurement -- What is it that we measure, and what does it tell us? -- Measurement uncertainty -- Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (the GUM) -- Clinical trials -- Direct measurements: quadrupole moments and stray light levels -- Indirect measurement: the optical Kerr effect -- Data fitting and elephants.
- Measurements and experiments are made each and every day, in fields as disparate as particle physics, chemistry, economics and medicine, but have you ever wondered why it is that a particular experiment has been designed to be the way it is. Indeed, how do you design an experiment to measure something whose value is unknown, and what should your considerations be on deciding whether an experiment has yielded the sought after, or indeed any useful result? These are old questions, and they are the reason behind this volume. We will explore the origins of the methods of data analysis that are today routinely applied to all measurements, but which were unknown before the mid-19th Century. Anyone who is interested in the relationship between the precision and accuracy of measurements will find this volume useful. Whether you are a physicist, a chemist, a social scientist, or a student studying one of these subjects, you will discover that the basis of measurement is the struggle to identify the needle of useful data hidden in the haystack of obscuring background noise.
- Measurement (LCSH)
- Metric system (LCSH)
- Electronic books
- 530.8 (DDC)
- Tf (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 4 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Chalmers tekniska högskola, E-resurser (Zdig)Ange som favorit
Bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Chalmers) (IOP Concise Physics - Release 3)