"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" : Theodore Parker's proverbial fight for the ideal American society / Anna-Lisa Kraller.
Kraller, Anna-Lisa (author.)
- ISBN 9780984645626
- Publicerad: Burlington, Vermont : The University of Vermont, 
- Tillverkad: Burlington, Vermont : Queen City Printer's Inc.
- Engelska 221 pages
Serie: Supplement series of Proverbium ; v. 37.
- Preface -- Introduction -- Parker's rhetoric and the role of proverbs in political oratory -- Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God - Theodore Parker's proverbial fight for the ideal American society -- Separating real Christianity from popular theology by casting out old doctrines -- Casting out old doctrines -- Arguing against slavery with real Christianity -- Arguing against slavery with democracy -- Money is power - The corruption of America -- Slavery's moral and political threat -- The wrong union - Slavery becoming a Christian institution -- Don't wake the lion - Civil disobedience against the Fugitive Slave Law -- Downfall of the nation following moral decline -- Progress of humanity -- Different concepts of labor contributing to slavery -- Conclusion -- Bibliography -- Index of analyzed speeches, addresses, and occasional sermons -- Key word index of proverbs.
- "Theodore Parker (1810-1860) was one of the most influential preachers and abolitionists in 19th-century Boston. For his fight against the decay of the American society at the time of slavery as well as clerical and political corruption, his most important weapon was his effective use of language. This book contains a survey of Parker's rhetoric and the role of proverbs and proverbial expressions in political oratory in general that is followed by a detailed analysis of Parker's proverbial rhetoric in many of his speeches, sermons, and letters"--Back cover.
- Ordspråk (sao)
- Retorik -- politiska aspekter (sao)
- Antislaverirörelser -- historia (sao)
- Proverbs, American. (LCSH)
- Rhetoric -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Antislavery movements -- United States -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Political oratory -- United States -- History -- 19th century. (LCSH)
- Antislavery movements. (fast)
- Political oratory. (fast)
- Proverbs, American. (fast)
- Style, Literary. (fast)
- Rhetoric -- Political aspects. (fast)
- Proverbs (LCSH)
- United States. (fast)
- Förenta staterna
- 1800-talet (sao)
- Concordances. (lcgft)
- Concordances. (fast)
- History. (fast)
- Parker, Theodore, 1810-1860 -- Literary style.
- Parker, Theodore, 1810-1860 -- Concordances.
- 398.9 (DDC)
- H.018 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit