Making beats : the art of sample-based hip-hop / Joseph G. Schloss ; foreword by Jeff Chang.
Schloss, Joseph Glenn, (author.)
Chang, Jeff. (författare)
- ISBN 9780819574817
- Second edition.
- Middletown, CT : Wesleyan University Press, 2014
- Engelska xv, 246 pages
- Introduction --- "Itʹs about playing records": History --- "It just doesnʹt sound authentic": Live Instrumentation vs. Hip-Hop Purism --- Materials and Inspiration: Digging in the Crates --- Sampling Ethics --- Elements of Style: Aesthetics of Hip-Hop Composition --- The Outer Circle: From Samplers to Ears --- Conclusions.
- Based on ten years of research among hip-hop producers, Making Beats was the first work of scholarship to explore the goals, methods, and values of a surprisingly insular community. Focusing on a variety of subjects - from hip-hop artistsʹ pedagogical methods to the Afrodiasporic roots of the sampling process to the social significance of "digging" for rare records - Joseph G. Schloss examines the way hip-hop artists have managed to create a form of expression that reflects their creative aspirations, moral beliefs, political values, and cultural realities. This second edition of the book includes a new foreword by Jeff Chang and a new afterword by the author. -- Publisher description.
- Rap (Music) -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Hip-hop. (LCSH)
- Turntablism. (LCSH)
- Turntablists. (LCSH)
- Hiphop (sao)
- Hip-hop (LCSH)
- Hiphop (sao)
- Criticism, interpretation, etc. (fast)
- ML3531 (LCC)
- 782.421649149 (DDC)
- Ijxfeb (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit