The revival of Islam in the Balkans [Elektronisk resurs] ;] from identity to religiosity / Edited by Arolda Elbasani.
- ISBN 9781137517845
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015
- Engelska 280 p.
Serie: Islam and nationalism
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.palgravec... (Online journal 'available contents' page)
- Acknowledgments Notes on Contributors Introduction: Nation, State and Faith in the Post-Communist Era-- Arolda Elbasani PART I: THE PREVAILING PUBLIC DISCOURSE ON ISLAM 1. Islam and Orientalism in Contemporary Albania-- Enis Sulstarova 2. Anti-Islamic Public Discourse in Contemporary Greece: The Reproduction of Religious Panic-- Alexandros Sakellariou 3. Faith and Politics in Kosovo: The Status of Religious Communities in a Secular Country-- Jeton Mehmeti PART II: MUSLIMS' PURSUIT OF FAITH AND RELIGIOSITY 4. The Loudspeaker of Faith in the 'Calm' City: Islam and Urban Diversity in the Contemporary Balkans-- Jelena Tosic 5. Muslim Women's Dress Practices in Bosnia-Herzegovina: Localising Islam through Everyday Lived Practice-- Andreja Mesaric 6. The Multiple Voices of Bulgaria's Unofficial Islamic Leaders-- Laura J. Olson 7. Love and Boundaries: Inter-Faith and Inter-Ethnic Relationships Among Macedonian-Speaking Muslims-- Anna Zadrozna 8. 'Holiness' Constructed: Anonymous Saints in the Popular Traditions of Muslim Roma Communities in the Balkans-- Ksenia Trofimova PART III: RELIGIOUS BELIEFS, PUBLIC ARGUMENTS AND LEGITIMACY 9. Rhetorical Strategies of Kosovo's Imams in the Fight for 'Women's Rights'-- Behar Sadriu 10. Public Expressions of Bosnian Muslim Religiosity and Lived Faith: The Cases of Friday Prayer and the Hijab-- Julianne Funk 11. Faith, Fatherland, or Both? Accommodationist and Neo-Fundamentalist Islamic Discourses in Albania-- Cecilie Endresen Conclusions-- Olivier Roy Index.
- This book shifts analytical focus from macro-politicization and securitization of Islam to Muslims' choices, practices and public expressions of faith. An empirically rich analysis, the book provides rich cross-country evidence on the emergence of autonomous faith communities as well as the evolution of Islam in the broader European context. -- This book challenges top-down analytical frameworks that view Islam in the Balkans as a repository of ethno-national identities and/or a potential 'depot' of conflict between and among nations. It outlines a new conceptual framework in which believers are endowed with the capacity to choose and resist broad classifications amidst the competitive market of religion following the fall of communism. Written by researchers with extensive and hands-on experience in the field, the book provides cross-country evidence on the reconfiguration of state-organized religious fields and the emergence of new actors and forms of religiosity. Combining a fresh analytical perspective with rich empirical analysis, the book furthers the understanding of Islam particularly with regard to the relation between state and religion, the role of foreign influences, the diversity of actors who speak for Islam, the processes of individualization of faith, and the evolution and traits of Islam in the European context.
- 'The editors of this timely addition to the scholarship are to be commended for bringing together such a stellar example of the cutting-edge research the study of Islam in the Balkans requires in this era of rapidly changing conditions for Muslims and their fellow countrymen. In eleven well-crafted studies on various themes related to the rapidly changing dynamics within Muslim communities in the Balkans, the reader is offered access to the state-of-the-art scholarship on Islam. The particularly close focus on hitherto ignored actors in the forging of new kinds of Muslim communities in face of hostility from the larger world is especially welcome considering these will be the likely agents for positive co-habitation and trust-building measures in the future. It is especially commendable that the editors invited scholars wishing to shed further light on how Muslim women in particular try to strengthen their role in shaping the future of their communities. The fact that such efforts are complicated by the often confused debates about the ethno-national and/or universalist character of Albanian, Roma, Bosnian, and Bulgarian Muslim existence in their homelands promises to positively inform scholars for years to come on how to best disentangle the study of religiosity in the Balkans from the crude references made to the larger 'war on terror.' The Revival of Islam in the Balkans is highly recommended as both a resource for specialists in the study of Islam-in-the-Balkans and a valuable tool to introduce to graduate students.'- Dr. Isa Blumi, Associate Professor of History, Georgia State University, USA 'This volume offers rich empirical insights into the diverse forms of lived religiosity amongst Balkan Muslims, convincingly arguing for a paradigm shift that decouples religion from the ethno-national grids of identity and focuses instead on the individual re-imaginations and personalized practices emerging outside the institutional control of official government-sponsored orthodoxies inherited from socialism. This is an exciting contribution to the field and compulsory reading for those interested in Balkan Islam and contemporary religious change in the post-socialist world.'- Ger Duijzings, Professor of Social Anthropology, University of Regensburg, Germany.
- Islam -- Balkan Peninsula. (LCSH)
- Politics and Government. (ukslc)
- Religious & theocratic ideologies -- Southeast Europe. (bicssc)
- Islam -- Southeast Europe. (bicssc)
- Religion & politics -- Southeast Europe. (bicssc)
- Religious & theocratic ideologies -- Southeast Europe. (thema)
- Islam -- Southeast Europe. (thema)
- Religion & politics -- Southeast Europe. (thema)
- JPFR (ämneskategori)
- HRH (ämneskategori)
- HRAM2 (ämneskategori)
- POL (ämneskategori)
- JPFR (ämneskategori)
- QRP (ämneskategori)
- QRAM2 (ämneskategori)
- 320.55709496 (DDC)
- Ocg (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Springer Palgrave Political Science eBook Collection 2015)