Reaching students : what research says about effective instruction in undergraduate science and engineering / Nancy Kober.
Kober, Nancy (author.)
National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Science Education.
National Research Council (U.S.). Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education.
- ISBN 9780309300438
- Publicerad: Washington, DC : National Academies Press, 
- Engelska xv, 240 pages
- Thinking about learning and teaching as a researcher would -- Getting started -- Using insights about learning to inform teaching -- Designing instruction -- Assessing and adapting -- Overcoming challenges -- Creating broader contexts that support research-based teaching and learning -- Epilogue: On changing minds.
- "The undergraduate years are a turning point in producing scientifically literate citizens and future scientists and engineers. Evidence from research about how students learn science and engineering shows that teaching strategies that motivate and engage students will improve their learning. So how do students best learn science and engineering? Are there ways of thinking that hinder or help their learning process? Which teaching strategies are most effective in developing their knowledge and skills? And how can practitioners apply these strategies to their own courses or suggest new approaches within their departments or institutions? Reaching Students strives to answer these questions. Reaching Students presents the best thinking to date on teaching and learning undergraduate science and engineering. Focusing on the disciplines of astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, geosciences, and physics, this book is an introduction to strategies to try in your classroom or institution. Concrete examples and case studies illustrate how experienced instructors and leaders have applied evidence-based approaches to address student needs, encouraged the use of effective techniques within a department or an institution, and addressed the challenges that arose along the way. The research-based strategies in Reaching Students can be adopted or adapted by instructors and leaders in all types of public or private higher education institutions. They are designed to work in introductory and upper-level courses, small and large classes, lectures and labs, and courses for majors and non-majors. And these approaches are feasible for practitioners of all experience levels who are open to incorporating ideas from research and reflecting on their teaching practices. This book is an essential resource for enriching instruction and better educating students." --
- Science -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States -- Evaluation. (LCSH)
- Engineering -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- United States -- Evaluation. (LCSH)
- Engineering -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Evaluation. (fast)
- Science -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Evaluation. (fast)
- United States. (fast)
- Conference proceedings. (fast)
- Q183.3.A1 (LCC)
- 507.11073 (DDC)
- Epabu (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit