Dreams to remember : Otis Redding, Stax Records, and the transformation of Southern soul / Mark Ribowsky
Ribowsky, Mark (författare)
- ISBN 9780871408730
- London : W W Norton & Co Ltd 2015
- Engelska xxix, 365 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates
- When he died suddenly at the age of twenty-six, Otis Redding (1941-1967) had already become the conscience of a new kind of soul music. Sure, Berry Gordy might have built the first black-owned music empire at Motown, but Redding was doing something as historic: mainstreaming black music within the whitest bastions of the post-Confederate south. As a result, the Redding story-still largely untold-is one of great conquest but, sadly, grand tragedy. Now, in this transformative work, Mark Ribowsky contextualizes Redding's life within the larger cultural movements of his era, whisking us from the "sinful" clubs of Macon to the trendsetting studios in Memphis and, finally, to the pulsating stage of the Monterey Music Festival where, in a single set, Redding immortalized himself as a "soul legend." What emerges in Dreams to Remember is not only a triumph of music history but also a reclamation of a visionary who would come to define an entire era.
- Soul musicians -- United States -- Biography. (LCSH)
- Soul music -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Soul (musik) (sao)
- Soul music (LCSH)
- Biografi (saogf)
- Redding, Otis, 1941-1967.
- 780.92 (DDC)
- Ijz Redding, Otis (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit