Memorialization in Germany since 1945 [Elektronisk resurs] / Edited by Bill Niven, Chloe E.M. Paver.
Paver, Chloe E. M.
- ISBN 9780230248502
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan : 2009
- Engelska 440 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.palgravec... (Online journal 'available contents' page)
- List of Illustrations Notes on Contributors Introduction-- B.Niven& C.Paver PART I: REMEMBERING GERMAN LOSSES The Volkstrauertag (People's Day of Mourning), from 1922 to the Present-- A.Kaiser Beyond Usable Pasts: Rethinking the Memorialisation of the Strategic Air War in Germany, 1940 to 1965-- J.Arnold Roads to Revision: Disputes over Street Names Referring to the German Eastern Territories after the First and Second World War in the Cities of Dresden and Mainz, 1921-1972-- C.Lotz Monuments and Commemorative Sites for German Expellees A Memorial Laisser-Passez? Church Exhibitions and National Victimhood in Germany-- D.Sandler Remembering on Foreign Soil: The Activities of the German War Graves Commission-- D.Livingstone Neither Here nor There? Memorialisation of the Expulsion of Ethnic Germans-- D.Kift PART II: REMEMBERING NAZI CRIMES, PERPETRATORS AND VICTIMS Memorialisation Endeavours of the Regional Offices for Political Education (Landeszentralen fur Politische Bildung)-- D.K.Buse Memorialisation of Perpetrator Sites in Bavaria'-- M.Urban Pieces of the Past: Souvenirs from Nazi Sites -- The Example of Peenemunde-- U.Dittrich Remembering Euthanasia: Grafeneck in the Past, Present and Future-- S.C.Knittel Remembering Prisoners of War as Victims of National Socialist Persecution and Murder in Post-War Germany-- J.Nagel (In)Visible Trauma: Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset's Memorial to the Homosexuals Persecuted under the National Socialist Regime-- T.O.Haakenson Memorialising the White Rose Resistance Group in Post-War Germany-- K.Rickard The Role of German Perpetrator Sites in Teaching and Confronting the Nazi Past-- C.Pearce PART III: REMEMBERING JEWISH SUFFERING Memorialisation through Documentation: Holocaust Commemoration among Jewish Displaced Persons in Allied-Occupied Germany-- L.Jockusch Memorialising Persecuted Jews in Dachau and Other West German Concentration Camp Memorial Sites-- H.Marcuse Remembering Nazi Anti-Semitism in the GDR-- B.Niven Rosenstrasse: A Complex Site of German-Jewish Memory-- H.J.Potter The Counter-Monument: Memory Shaped by Male Post-War Legacy?-- C.Tomberger Stumbling Blocks: A Decentralised Memorial to Holocaust Victims-- M.Imort Affective Memory, Ineffective Functionality: Experiencing Berlin's Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe-- B.Sion From Monuments to Installations: Aspects of Memorialisation in Historical Exhibitions about the National Socialist Era-- C.Paver PART IV: SOCIALIST MEMORY AND MEMORY OF SOCIALISM Heroes and Victims: The Aesthetics and Ideology of Monuments and Memorials in the GDR-- S.Scharnowski Beating Nazis and Exporting Socialism: Representing East German War Memory to Foreign Tourists-- L.Fallwell Memorialising Socialist Contradictions: A 'Think-Mark' for Rosa Luxemburg in the New Berlin-- R.Bavaj Challenging or Concretising Cold War Narratives? Berlin's Memorial to the Victims of 17 June 1953'-- A.Saunders Mia Lee (University of Warwick): 'GDR Monuments in Unified Germany-- M.Lee Memorialisation of the German-German Border in the Context of Constructions of Heimat-- G.Knischewski & U.Spittler The Fight in the Prison Car Park: Memorialising Germany's 'Double Past' in Torgau since 1990-- A.Beattie PART V:MEMORIALISING GERMANY'S AMBIVALENT LEGACIES Martin Luther -- Rebel, Genius, Liberator: Politics and Marketing 1517-2017-- U.Zitzlsperger Building Up and Tearing Down the Myth of German Colonialism: Colonial Denkmale and Mahnmale after 1945-- J.Verber Remembering the Battle of Jutland in Post-War Wilhelmshaven-- G.Gotz The Memorialisation of 9 November 1918 in the Two German States-- A.Segelke A Democratic Legacy? The Memorialisation of the Weimar Republic and the Politcs of History of the Federal Republic of Germany-- S.Ullrich Memorialising the Military: Traditions, Exhibitions, and Monuments in the West German Army from the 1950s-- J.Echternkamp The Legacy of Second German Empire Memorials after 1945-- B.Niven Notes.
- Difficult Pasts provides a wide-ranging discussion of contemporary Germany's rich memorial landscape. It discusses the many memorials to German losses during the Second World War, to the victims of National Socialism and to those of GDR socialism. With up-to-date coverage of many less well-known memorials as well as the most publicised ones. -- Difficult Pasts provides a lively, wide-ranging discussion of contemporary Germany's rich and complex memorial landscape. It contains chapters on the many memorials constructed both to German losses during the Second World War, to the victims of National Socialism and to those of GDR socialism. The volume provides up-to-date coverage of the most publicised memorials, while at the same time discussing many of those less well-known; it provides discussion of key memorial debates in Germany, and challenges established ways of thinking about memorials and memorial sites. Bringing together international scholars from across a range of disciplines, ensuring a breadth of perspective and approach, each analytical essay is written in an accessible style which will appeal to academics, students, and general public alike.
- Memorials -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Memorialization -- History -- 20th century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Collective memory -- History -- 20th century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Collective memory -- History -- 21st century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- Memorialization -- History -- 21st century -- Germany. (LCSH)
- National characteristics, German -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- National characteristics, German -- History -- 21st century. (LCSH)
- History. (ukslc)
- European history -- Germany. (bicssc)
- Postwar 20th century history, from c 1945 to c 2000 -- Germany. (bicssc)
- European history -- Germany -- Later 20th century c 1950 to c 1999. (thema)
- Popular culture -- Germany -- Later 20th century c 1950 to c 1999. (thema)
- Germany -- History -- 1945-. (LCSH)
- Germany -- History -- 1945. (LCSH)
- HBJD (ämneskategori)
- HBLW3 (ämneskategori)
- HIS (ämneskategori)
- NHD (ämneskategori)
- JBCC1 (ämneskategori)
- 943.087 (DDC)
- Kfag.55 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Springer Palgrave History eBook Collection 2010)