Theodore Roosevelt abroad [Elektronisk resurs] ; Nature, empire, and the journey of an American President / J. Lee Thompson.
Thompson, J. Lee, 1951- (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-230-10647-5
- Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan : 2010.
- Engelska 240 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://www.palgravec... (Online journal 'available contents' page)
- Theodore Roosevelt's fifteen-month post-presidential odyssey to Africa and Europe has never been given its due place. His grand expedition fulfilled a long-held dream for the hunter-naturalist aspect of his multi-faceted character. However, besides big game rifles, Roosevelt also brought along his bully pulpit and accompanying ideals. -- In a life full of momentous episodes, Theodore Roosevelt's fifteen-month post-presidential odyssey to Africa and Europe has never been given its due place. His grand expedition fulfilled a long-held dream for the hunter-naturalist aspect of his multi-faceted character. However, besides big game rifles, Roosevelt also brought along his bully pulpit and accompanying ideals. While he shot elephant and rhino in their East African possessions, he could not refrain from also lecturing Britain's government on the exertions required to maintain the burden of empire. Away from the US, he also gradually came to realize that his friend and chosen successor, William Howard Taft, was undermining Roosevelt's legacy of conservation at home, leading to an acrimonious split between the two old friends that led directly to the election of Woodrow Wilson. A tale of daring adventure, international celebrity, a friendship lost, and a political legacy transformed, Theodore Roosevelt Abroad is the first full account of this important time in history.
- "This excellent book touches the audience who enjoyed David McCullough's biography of T.R., and is in that league. The writing is self-assured, evocative, and fair-handed; the character sketches (crucial in such books) are delightful and the Roosevelt family lore is fascinating. Thompson's writing is accessible, and the choice of quotations makes the characters live in the reader's mind." - R. J. Q. Adams, Distinguished Professor and Patricia and Bookman Peters Professor of History, Texas A&M University "I warmly recommend this book to anyone interested in Theodore Roosevelt and his time. It is well-researched and well-written, as well as very timely." - Hans-Dieter Sues, Ph.D., Associate Director for Research and Collections, Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History "I learned a good bit reading it, especially the fact that Teddy could not be a viable candidate in these media-driven days. He said too much, too frankly, with no little amount of balderdash thrown into the mix. Still, he was a real American of the old- school, teaching corrupt and jejune old-worlders a thing or two whenever he had the chance." - Thomas Kennedy, Professor of History Emeritus, University of Arkansas.
- Travel writing -- 20th century -- The Americas -- Africa. (bicssc)
- Social & cultural history -- 20th century -- The Americas -- Africa. (bicssc)
- Travel and Tourism. (ukslc)
- Travel writing -- The Americas -- Africa -- 20th century, c 1900 to c 1999. (thema)
- Social & cultural history -- The Americas -- Africa -- 20th century, c 1900 to c 1999. (thema)
- Africa -- Description and travel. (LCSH)
- Europe -- Description and travel. (LCSH)
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919. -- Travel -- Africa.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919. -- Travel -- Europe.
- WTL (ämneskategori)
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- TRV (ämneskategori)
- WTL (ämneskategori)
- NHTB (ämneskategori)
- 910.4092 (DDC)
- N.07 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Springer Palgrave History eBook Collection 2010)