Second-Generation Transnationalism and Roots Migration [electronic resource] : Cross-Border Lives / Susanne Wessendorf.
Wessendorf, Susanne. (författare)
- ISBN 9781409440161
- Farnham : Ashgate Publishing Ltd, 2013.
- Engelska 1 online resource (191 p.)
Serie: Studies in Migration and Diaspora
Läs hela texten (Click here to view book)
- Cover; Contents; Foreword; Series Editor's Preface; Acknowledgements; Glossary of Italian and German Terms; 1 Introduction: Social Affiliations and Ethnicity in the Context of Second-Generation Transnationalism; Second-Generation Transnationalism in Europe and the United States; Transnationalism and Integration; Ethnicity, 'Community', Individuals and Groups; Definitions; The Research; Plan of the Book; 2 Transnational Childhoods: Growing Up in Transnational Families; The Historical Background of Southern Italian Migration; Settling in Switzerland and the Creation of 'Sites of Belonging'.
- Italian Transnationalism: From Provisional Migration to Transnational ContinuityHoliday Transnationalism; The Transnational Family; Attitudes of the Second Generation towards the Family: Conflicts and Cohesion; Transnational Relations, Upward Social Mobility and the Role of Schools; 3 Transnational Continuities, Ethnic Reification and Local Ties; The Transnational Family and Continuities of Transnationalism; The Role of Schools and Neighbourhoods in Creating Co-Ethnic Social Networks; Transnational and Local Negotiations of Belonging.
- A Localized Transnational Youth Culture: The Development of 'Latino Cool''Cultural Sites' in a Transnational Context; Continuities of Transnational Relations as Adults; 4 Transnational Discontinuities: Developing Local Attachments; Social Attachments to Local and Transnational Social Milieus during Childhood; Transnational Experiences and the Anxiety of Returning; Gender, Sexuality and the Rejection of 'Italian Authenticity'; Withering Transnational Ties; The Secondo Movement: The Claim for Political Participation; Sushi-Eating Secondos and the Political Instrumentalization of Italianità.
- Beyond Ethnicity5 Transnational Realizations and Relocation to the Homeland: Roots Migration; Conceptualizing Second-Generation 'Roots Migration'; Social and Economic Factors Leading to Roots Migration; Settling into Structural Uncertainties; 'There's nothing here': The Realities of Long-Term Settlement; Social Control and Gender Relations; Finding a Home, Losing One's Roots and Continuities of Transnational Relations; Longing to Belong in the Context of Transnationalism; 6 Conclusion: Individual Trajectories of Transnationalism and Integration.
- Second-Generation Transnationalism and Youth CultureWhen 'Being Italian is not an Issue': Transnationalism and Integration; Towards a Differentiated Understanding of Second-Generation Transnationalism; Bibliography; Index.
- Presenting rich empirical data gathered among second-generation Italians in Switzerland and southern Italy, and drawing on studies undertaken in other parts of Europe and the US, this book investigates why as adults, members of the second generation maintain diverging transnational relations, with some sharing their parents' transnational ties and fostering social relations with co-ethnics, whilst others distance themselves from co-ethnics and rarely visit their country of origin. Yet others decide to relocate to their country of origin, a phenomenon the book conceptualizes as 'roots migration
- Children of immigrants.
- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- Immigrants -- Cultural assimilation.
- Globalisering (sao)
- Andragenerationsinvandrare (sao)
- Invandrare (sao)
- Etnicitet (sao)
- Emigration -- sociala aspekter (sao)
- Immigration -- sociala aspekter (sao)
- Children of immigrants (LCSH)
- Ethnicity (LCSH)
- Globalization (LCSH)
- Immigrants (LCSH)
- Electronic books. (LCSH)
- JV6035 .W29 2013 (LCC)
- 305.9/06912 (DDC)
- Ohdi (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Uppsala universitetsbibliotek, Digitala biblioteket (Udig)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Placering: EBL Ue
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Uppsala universitet)