The Palgrave handbook of gender and healthcare [Elektronisk resurs] / Edited by Ellen Kuhlmann, Ellen Annandale.
- ISBN 9781137295408
- 2nd New ed.
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Engelska 560 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Introduction: Bringing Gender to the Heart of Health Policy, Practice and Research-- E.Kuhlmann & E.Annandale PART I: GENDERING HEALTHCARE AND POLICY Re-visiting Gender Justice in Health and Healthcare-- S.Payne & L.Doyal Gender Equality and International Health Policy Planning-- S.N.Abdool, C.Garcia-Moreno & A.Amin Gender Equity and Health Sector Reforms in Low and Middle Income Countries-- H.Standing Gender-sensitive Indicators for Healthcare-- V.Lin & H.L'Orange Gender Assessment: European Health Research Policies-- I.Klinge Gender and the Medicalization of Healthcare-- S.E.Bell & A.E.Figert PART II: THE SOCIAL PATTERNING OF HEALTH BY GENDER Changing Patterns of Morbidity and Mortality-- C.E.Bird, M.E.Lang & P.P.Rieker Reproductive Regimes: Governing Gendered Bodies-- E.Ettorre & C.Kingdon Coronary Heart Disease: Gendered Public Health Discourses-- E.Riska Gender and Mental Health-- J.Busfield HIV/AIDS and Gender-- L.Gilbert & T.Selikow PART III: EQUITY AND ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE Gender and Help-seeking: Towards Gender-comparative Studies-- K.Hunt, J.Adamson & P.Galdas Gender Differences in Healthcare Utilization in Later Life-- K.Roy & A.Chaudhuri Men's Health and Well-being-- T.Schofield The Healthcare Needs of Gay and Lesbian Patients-- J.Edwards Mothers and Children: What Does their Health Tell us About Gender?-- T.Patel Gender, Health, Care and Place: Living in Rural and Remote Communities-- I.L.Bourgeault & R.Sutherns PART IV: GENDERING THE ORGANIZATION AND DELIVERY OF HEALTHCARE The New Management of Healthcare: 'Rational' Performance and Gendered Actors-- J.Barry, E.Berg & J.Chandler Old Age Care Policies: Gendering Institutional Arrangements Across Countries-- V.Burau, H.Theobald & R.H.Blank Primary Prevention and Health Promotion: Towards Gender-sensitive Interventions-- P.Kolip Gender and Maternal Healthcare-- J.Sandall, C.Benoit, E.van Teijlingen, S.Wrede, E.Declercq & R.de Vries Women's Health Centres: Creating Spaces and Institutional Support-- P.Armstrong PART V: THE PROFESSIONS AS CATALYST OF GENDER-SENSITIVE HEALTHCARE Women in the Medical Profession: International Trends-- E.Riska Sex, Gender and Health: Developments in Medical Research-- T.Lagro-Janssen Gender Mainstreaming at the Cross-roads of Eastern-western Healthcare-- L.Cheng, E.Kuhlmann & E.Annandale Nursing: Globalization of a Female-gendered Profession-- S.Wrede Conclusion: Gender and Healthcare: The Future-- E.Annandale & E.Kuhlmann.
- An authoritative, state-of-the-art collection that brings together key experts to provide an overview of the field. This new paperback edition includes 3 new chapters on human resources and health, end-of-life care and complementary and alternative medicine as well as thorough updates to the introduction and conclusion. -- This authoritative, state-of-the-art reference collection addresses the main issues and core debates related to gender and healthcare in one accessible volume. Mapping the field, and drawing together cutting-edge research on gender and healthcare, this essential guide to an area of increasing interest provides a critical overview of debates as well as practical guidance on how to bring gender perspectives to the heart of international health policy, practice and research. Providing an integrated and context-sensitive approach that focuses on men's and women's health, actor-centred and institutional approaches to healthcare, as well as to the needs of service users and professionals, this comprehensive and innovative overview examines both the developed and developing world, and explores intersections between gender and a wide range of social inequalities. Divided into five parts this panoramic survey covers * The gendering of healthcare and policy * The social patterning of health by gender * Equity and access to healthcare * The organization and delivery of healthcare * Health professions and gender Offering an impressive range of international world class expertise and insight, each chapter includes a chapter summary and an overview of key reading, making this Handbook an invaluable companion for a wide range of academics, researchers, practitioners and policymakers.
- 'The Palgrave Handbook of Gender and Healthcaremarks the coming of age of the rapidly growing field of gender and health. Providing detailed and nuanced analyses of different aspects of healthcare - equity, access, service delivery, the healthcare professions - this Handbook moves the field's boundaries farther and deeper. It will be difficult for anyone after this to look at healthcare without a gender lens. This is absolutely essential reading for all healthcare students and professionals.' - Professor Gita Sen, Indian Institute of Management, India 'This is a veritable treasure trove and an exemplary demonstration of how active editing can produce a Handbook accessible to practitioners and students alike. Our thinking about gender and health and about gender mainstreaming will never be the same again.' - Celia Davies, Professor Emerita, The Open University, UK 'This Handbook is a rich and impressive resource, ranging across continents and societies, and opening up fresh issues as well as surveying the field. The authors take us far beyond conventional ideas about sex differences, to explore the gender relations that affect disease, injury and well-being. New perspectives are opened on the gender regimes in health care organizations and health professions. This is a major asset for all concerned with medical interventions, health care and public policy.' - Professor Raewyn Connell, author of Gender: In World Perspective and Masculinities 'Kuhlmann and Annandale's outstanding edited collection brings together foremost international experts on gender and healthcare, providing definitive analyses of how gender links to a range of contemporary challenges facing healthcare. Researchers, students and policy makers will find this collection an essential resource.' - Professor Sara Arber, Centre for Research on Ageing and Gender (CRAG), University of Surrey, UK 'In The Palgrave Handbook of Gender and Healthcare, leading scholars from around the world provide essential guidance and direction for steering gender into the mainstream of healthcare. It's an indispensable guidebook for health practitioners, managers, policy-makers and researchers alike.' - Dr Will Courtenay, Men's Health Consulting, Berkeley, California, USA 'The varied approaches and theoretical understandings described in the volume, constitute a very essential and helpful resource to those interested in bringing gender sensitivity into health care, and in particular to health-care professionals, researchers and policy makers.' - Berit Rostad, Faculty of Medicine, Trondheim, Norway 'This 'tour de force' of a handbook brings together the work of 48 authors in 26 chapters, clustered into 5 parts, topped and tailed by an easy to read and informative introduction and conclusion. Each chapter finishes with a useful bullet point summary and suggested further reading. Together the chapters blend theory and health care practices and bring alive the importance of embedding gender analysis and responses within different national and local contexts...In summary the handbook is informative, interesting and timely - it comes highly recommended.' - Perpsectives in Public Health '...a very essential and helpful resource to those interested in bringing gender sensitivity into health care...adequately presented...The book is a 'must-have'; an equally indispensable handbook to health and social scientists, health professionals and policy makers.' - European Journal of Public Health 'By highlighting several cases of injustice and either providing us with country specific recommendations or an analysis of previous actions taken, this handbook is clearly intended to motivate political action.' - Science as Culture.
- Social medicine. (LCSH)
- Discrimination in medical care. (LCSH)
- Medical care -- Sex differences. (LCSH)
- Health -- Sex differences. (LCSH)
- Gender studies, gender groups. (bicssc)
- Health systems & services. (bicssc)
- Medical sociology. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
- JFSJ (ämneskategori)
- MBP (ämneskategori)
- MBS (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 305.3 (DDC)
- Ohj (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Palgrave Social Sciences Collection 2012)