Speaking of monsters [Elektronisk resurs] A teratological anthology / Edited by Caroline Joan S. Picart, John Edgar Browning.
Picart, Caroline Joan S.
Browning, John Edgar.
- ISBN 9781137101495
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Engelska 342 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- General Theories of Monstrosity Gender and Monstrosity Teratologies of Nationality and Race Queer Theory and Boundary Crossings Criminology, Law and Teratologies: Between the Real and the Reel Science, Nature and the Mechanical: The Human-Animal-Machine Divides In Between Fear and Desire Teratologies and Ethics.
- Employs a range of approaches to examine how 'monster-talk' pervades not only popular culture but also public policy through film and other media. This book is envisaged as a 'one-stop shop' of sorts for students and instructors employing various approaches and media in the study of 'teratologies,' or discourses of the 'monstrous.'. -- Despite its apparently monolithic definition, 'teratology' (from the Greek word teras, meaning 'monster,' and the Latin logy , which is derived from the Greek logia , meaning 'a speaking, discourse, treatise, doctrine, theory, science') seems infinitely malleable, flourishing in various rhetorical environments. Teratologies are more than a bestiary: a catalogue of 'freaks' designed to celebrate the 'normal.' Rather, teratologies illustrate how humor, horror, fantasy and the 'real' cross-fertilize each other, resulting in the possibility of new worlds, ethics, and narratives, emerging. As a general anthology of teratologies, this book simply maps what, in many ways, has already been occurring across several fields, as it tracks the expansion of this term, creating lacunae that form connections across multiple interpretive communities. It is a cross section of how "monster narratives" intersect with "outsider" positions, from different perspectives - such as those of literary critics, film critics, criminologists, law professors, historians, philosophers - and looks into various strategies of destabilizing normative binaries.
- Monsters in motion pictures. (LCSH)
- Teratology. (LCSH)
- Horror films -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Film theory & criticism. (bicssc)
- Film: styles & genres. (bicssc)
- Popular culture. (bicssc)
- Performing Arts. (eflch)
- APFA (ämneskategori)
- APFN (ämneskategori)
- JFCA (ämneskategori)
- PER (ämneskategori)
- 791.4301 (DDC)
- Imaa (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 1 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Högskolan Dalarna, E-biblioteket (HdE)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalogFind@DU
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Högskolan Dalarna) (Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA)