Wonder in Shakespeare [Elektronisk resurs] / Adam Max Cohen.
Cohen, Adam Max. (författare)
- ISBN 9781137011626
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Engelska 240 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- PART I: WONDER IN SHAKESPEARE Wonder, Amazement, and Surprise: Beginning a Stunning Story Resurrections of the Living and the Dead: Natural and Spiritual Bodies and Souls 'Die to live': Various Forms of Empathetic Wonder The Metaphorical Use of the Prodigious Birth Tradition More of a Prodigy than a Prophecy Wonder, Awe, and Admiration: Shakespeare's Cabinets of Curiosity Transalpine Wonders: Shakespeare's Marvelous Aesthetics PART II: SIX RESPONSES TO WONDER IN SHAKESPEARE Embodying Wonder-- M.Tarnoff The Aesthetic Resurrection of the 'death-mark'd' lovers in Romeo and Juliet-- J.Segal The 'Spectacle of Conversion,' Wonder, and Film in The Merchant of Venice-- M.G.Aune God Save the King: Richard IIin Wonder-land-- R.Steinberger A World of (No) Wonder, or No Wonder-Wounded Heros Here: Toward a Theory on the Vanishing Mediation of 'No Wonder' in Shakespeare's Theater-- K.Keating& B.Reynolds Passing for Truth: Wonder Tales and Their Audiences in Othello-- J.B.Fisher.
- In the first part of this book, Adam Max Cohen embraces the many meanings of wonder in order to challenge the generic divides between comedy, tragedy, history, and romance and suggests that Shakespeare's primary goal in crafting each of his playworlds was the evocation of one or more varieties of wonder. -- Wonder is a highly ambivalent word and idea which can denote both woe, horror, or terror on one hand and delight, jubilation, or ecstasy on the other. In the first part of this book, Adam Max Cohen embraces the many meanings of wonder in order to challenge the generic divides between comedy, tragedy, history, and romance to suggest that Shakespeare's primary goal in crafting each of his playworlds was the evocation of one or more varieties of wonder. In the second part of this book, seven contributors respond to Cohen's exploration and pay homage to his scholarly legacy.
- Wonder in literature. (LCSH)
- Literature. (eflch)
- Shakespeare studies & criticism -- English. (bicssc)
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. -- Criticism and interpretation.
- DSGS (ämneskategori)
- LIT (ämneskategori)
- 822.33 (DDC)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.