Locating cultural work [Elektronisk resurs] The politics and poetics of rural, regional and remote creativity / Susan Luckman.
Luckman, Susan. (författare)
- ISBN 9781137283580
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Engelska 208 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Introduction: Space for Creativity Affective Cultural Work: New Psychogeographies of Creativity Precarious Labour Then and Now: The British Arts and Crafts Movement and the Ethics of Rural Cultural Work Re-visited Cultural Work, Stage of Life and Balanced Lives Tourism, Regional Economies and Cultural Workers Sustainability, the Handmade and Cultural Industries Conclusion: A 'Slow Creative Industries' Movement?.
- Drawing upon field work and interviews with cultural workers in the UK and Australia, this book examines the cultural work experiences of rural, regional and remotely located creative practitioners, and how this sits within local economies and communities. -- This book builds upon the ground-breaking work already undertaken by the author filling the absence of research into the significance, character and value of creative industries beyond major urban centres. What has emerged in this work is the specific centrality of place, time and the natural environment to the creative practice of those who have chosen or found themselves operating outside the mainstream of urban creative milieus. Unlike any existing book in the market, Locating Cultural Work uniquely examines creative workers in terms of three interlinked concerns: the wider history of creativity and place in the UK since the Industrial Revolution (in particular the Romantics and the Arts and Craft Movement, especially as manifest in the Lake District and Cotswolds); the emotional-affective-drivers of creativity and place; and, the relationship between rural and regional cultural industries, tourism and environmental awareness.
- 'A lovely book that takes seriously the efforts of cultural workers to live good lives, and that considers their struggles with compassion and intelligence. Its originality lies in bringing together histories and theories that have been only very rarely employed in the burgeoning research on cultural industries.' - David Hesmondhalgh, Director of Media Industries Research Centre, University of Leeds, UK 'Finally, a book that excavates creativity from its holed-up, hipster, inner-city scene! Locating Cultural Work situates creativity in diverse and sometimes challenging places beyond the metropolis. In this kaleidoscopic book Susan Luckman addresses bigger questions of the precarity of cultural work, the impacts of gentrification on rural places, the opportunities and constraints of tourism and digital connectivity, philosophical and political antecedents, and the embodied and everyday travails of being creative in the countryside. If creativity is to play a part in refashioning rural and regional places, then this book has the answers - and the warnings.' - Chris Gibson, Professor of Human Geography and Deputy Director of the Australian Centre for Cultural Environmental Research, University of Wollongong, Australia 'Who makes at the margins? In this erudite and elegantly-written book, Susan Luckman uncovers the diverse and distributed geographies of cultural work and explores thecomplex lives of those committed to the production of creative art, craft and culture. In challenging common assumptions about the Romantic legacy, the history of the handmade, and the ethical bankruptcy of modern work, Luckman brilliantly reveals the continuous and cyclical nature of cultural production, and deftly exposes the intangible, sensory and affective qualities of place that inspire today's cultural workers'. Mark Banks, Reader in Sociology, The Open University, UK.
- Cultural industries. (LCSH)
- Arts and society. (LCSH)
- Cultural industries -- Social aspects. (LCSH)
- Arts -- Economic aspects. (LCSH)
- Sociology: work & labour. (bicssc)
- Art forms. (bicssc)
- Cultural studies. (bicssc)
- Rural communities. (bicssc)
- Business & management. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
- JHBL (ämneskategori)
- AF (ämneskategori)
- JFC (ämneskategori)
- JFSF (ämneskategori)
- KJ (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 338.477 (DDC)
- P.04 (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Stockholms universitetsbibliotek, Digitala resurser (Hdig)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Stockholms universitet) (SpringerLink Books - AutoHoldings:Full Text)
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Palgrave Social Sciences Collection 2012)