Migration policies and political participation [Elektronisk resurs] : Inclusion or intrusion in Western Europe? / Pontus Odmalm.
Odmalm, Pontus. (författare)
- Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
- Engelska 272 p.
Serie: Migration, minorities & citizenship
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Acknowledgements PART 1: INTRODUCTION Introduction Outline of Book Chapters Data Retrieval Statistical Material Questionnaire Interviews Conclusion PART 2: HISTORICAL OVERVIEW: PATTERNS OF IMMIGRATION, IMMIGRATION AND CITIZENSHIP POLICIES Introduction France Composition of Immigrant Population Immigration Policy and Status of Migrants Citizenship Policy Germany Composition of Immigrant Population Immigration Policy and Status of Migrants Citizenship Policy The Netherlands Composition of Immigrant Population Immigration Policy and Status of Migrants Citizenship Policy Rotterdam Sweden Composition of Immigrant Population Immigration Policy and Status of Migrants Citizenship Policy Malmo Britain Composition of Immigrant Population Immigration Policy and Status of Migrants Citizenship Policy PART 3: THE ROLE OF INSTITUTIONS IN SHAPING THE OPPORTUNITIES AND CONSTRAINTS OF ACTOR'S BEHAVIOUR Introduction The Emergence of Neo-Institutionalism Defining Institutions How and Why Institutions are Important Governing Institutions Political Institutions in France Political Institutions in Germany Political Institutions in the Netherlands Political Institutions in Sweden Political Institutions in Britain Political Institutions as Constraints and Facilitators Outcomes of Institutions: Political Opportunity Structures Formal Institutional Structures National Cleavage Structures Informal Procedures Alliance Procedures Conclusion PART 4: IDENTITY, CITIZENSHIP AND IDENTIFICATION Introduction Identity - Relevance and Construction Interpretations and Political Participation Identification as an Explanatory Variable The Study Groups - Sweden and the Netherlands Identification Levels - Malmo and Rotterdam Satisfaction with Performance of Local Politicians Likelihood of Participating Intensity of Participation Interest in Swedish/Dutch Politics versus Country of Origin Conclusion PART 5: CIVIL SOCIETY, MIGRANT ORGANISATIONS AND POLITICAL PARTIES Introduction Civil Society Structure and Organisation Migrant Organisations in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Britain Migrant Organisations in Malmo and Rotterdam The Relationship Between Migrant Organisations and Political Parties in Malmo and Rotterdam Conclusion PART 6: SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS Introduction Explaining Political Participation amongst Migrants Strategies Adopted by Migrants as a Response to the Institutional Environment Institutional Influences on Identification Institutional Effects on the Relationship Between Organisations and Political Parties Bibliography Appendix 1.
- The author investigates the institutional opportunities and constraints for migrants to participate politically in five Western European counties. The book explores how the national political arena has been shaped through the historical development of these institutions and what effects they have on the political integration of migrants and ethnic minorities and the ways in which they organise. These settings also influence the strategies that organised migrant interests pursue, and the author looks closer at why certain options have been present in some countries but not in others. In addition, the book also looks at how post-war immigration has effected citizenship and immigration policies in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and the United Kingdom. By comparing these policies, conceptual interpretations and institutional arrangements, the author argues that these factors are key variables to consider in order to explain why levels of political participation vary between countries. The book also explores the extent to which host society identification can be used as an additional explanatory variable for political integration.
- Migration, immigration & emigration. (bicssc)
- Central government policies. (bicssc)
- Political activism. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
- JFFN (ämneskategori)
- JPQB (ämneskategori)
- JPW (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.