Early modern tragedy, gender and performance, 1984-2000 [Elektronisk resurs] The destined livery / Roberta Barker.
Barker, Roberta, 1974- (författare)
- ISBN 9780230597488
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2007
- Engelska 256 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- List of Figures Acknowledgements List of Abbreviations Introduction: The Destined Livery? PART ONE: REALISM AND REINSCRIPTION What We Are, But Not What We May Be: The 'Feminist' Ophelia and the Reproduction of Gender An Actor in the Main of All: Individual and Relational Selves in The Duchess of Malfi The Natural Father and the Imaginary Daughter: Patriarchy as Realism and Representation in Titus PART TWO: PERFORMANCE AND PERFORMATIVITY 'Let Me Forget Myself': What a Queen is Good For in Edward II Death and the Married Maiden: Gender Reproduction as Destruction in The Broken Heart Tricked Like a Bride: A New Traffic in A Woman Killed with Kindness Conclusion: Cultural Drag, or, Hamlet and Ophelia Redux Appendix: Casts, Production Teams, and Opening Dates of Productions Discussed Bibliography Index Index.
- What happens when contemporary actors perform the rigid gender roles that help to shape the doomed characters of much early modern English tragedy? How do their performances affect contemporary audiences and contemporary society? Early Modern Tragedy, Gender and Performance, 1984-2000 strives to answer this question by advancing a new model for politically engaged spectatorship of contemporary productions by Shakespeare and his contemporaries. Using nine recent theatrical and cinematic productions as case studies, it offers close analyses of the contradictions and tensions that arise when contemporary actors perform the gender norms of a previous culture in a manner calculated to suit the norms of our own time. Because it shows how both actors and spectators can have an impact on current debates about gender roles, it will be of interest to theatre practitioners as well as to students of early modern drama, of performance, and of gender studies.
- Gender identity in literature. (LCSH)
- Gender identity in the theater. (LCSH)
- Gender-based analysis. (LCSH)
- Sex role in literature. (LCSH)
- Sex role in the theater. (LCSH)
- Theater and society. (LCSH)
- Sex role in motion pictures. (LCSH)
- Gender identity in motion pictures. (LCSH)
- English drama (Tragedy) -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- English drama -- History and criticism -- 17th century. (LCSH)
- English drama -- History and criticism -- Early modern and Elizabethan, 1500-1600. (LCSH)
- Feminism and theater -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Theater -- History -- 20th century. (LCSH)
- Theatre studies. (bicssc)
- Film theory & criticism. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: plays & playwrights. (bicssc)
- Literary studies: c 1500 to c 1800. (bicssc)
- Gender studies, gender groups. (bicssc)
- Performing Arts. (eflch)
- AN (ämneskategori)
- APFA (ämneskategori)
- DSG (ämneskategori)
- DSBD (ämneskategori)
- JFSJ (ämneskategori)
- PER (ämneskategori)
- 822.9109 (DDC)
Uppgift om bibliotek saknas i LIBRIS
Kontakta ditt bibliotek, eller sök utanför LIBRIS. Se högermenyn.