The culture of AIDS in Africa : hope and healing in music and the arts / edited by Gregory Barz and Judah M. Cohen.
Barz, Gregory F., 1960- (redaktör/utgivare)
Cohen, Judah M. (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 9780199744473
- New York : Oxford University Press, c2011.
- Engelska xvii, 500 p.
- Introduction : The culture of AIDS : hope and healing through the arts in Africa / Gregory Barz and Judah M. Cohen -- Interlude : Singing for life : songs of hope, healing, and HIV/AIDS in Uganda / Gregory Barz -- Born in Africa (1990) : documentary transcript / John Zaritsky -- Tears run dry : coping with AIDS through music in Zimbabwe / Ric Alviso -- Singing in the shadow of death : African musicians respond to a pandemic with songs of sorrow, resistance, advocacy, and hope / Jonah Eller-Isaacs -- Music, HIV/AIDS, and social change in Nairobi, Kenya / Kathleen J. Van Buren -- Interlude : Nyimbo za EDZI = Songs about AIDS / E. Jackson Allison, Jr. -- Using music to combat AIDS and other public health issues in Malawi / E. Jackson Allison, Jr., Lawrence H. Brown III, Susan E. Wilson -- Visual approaches to HIV literacy in South Africa / Annabelle Wienand -- Ngoma dialogue circles (Ngoma-DiCe) : combating HIV/AIDS using local cultural performance in Kenya / Mjomba Majalia -- Interlude : To sing of AIDS in Uganda / Judah M. Cohen -- HIV/AIDS poster campaigns in Malawi / Eckhard Breitinger -- Contemporary uses of the musical arts in Botswana's HIV/AIDS health education initiatives : the case of the radio serial drama Makgabaneng / Abimbola Cole -- "We are the loudmouthed HIV-positive people" : "Siyayinqoba/Beat it!" on South African television / Rebecca Hodes -- "C'est le wake up! Africa" : two case studies of HIV/AIDS edutainment campaigns in Francophone Africa / Daniel B. Reed -- Singing songs of AIDS in Venda, South Africa : performance, pollution, and ethnomusicology in a neo-liberal setting / Fraser G. McNeill and Deborah James -- Interlude : "Let's get together" / Namirembe Post-Test Club/TASO Mbarara Drama Group -- Aesthetics and activism : Gideon Mendel and the politics of photographing the HIV/AIDS pandemic in South Africa / Michael Godby -- A lady who is an akadongo player : singing traditionally to overturn traditional authority / Rebekah Emanuel -- "What shall we do?" : Oliver Mtukudzi's songs about HIV/AIDS / Jennifer W. Kyker -- Swahili AIDS plays : a challenge to the Aristotelian theory on tragedy / Aldin K. Mutembei -- Confronting AIDS through popular music cultures in Kenya : a study of Princess Jully's "Dunia mbaya," Jack Nyadundo's "Ukimwi," and Oduor Odhialo's "Nyakomollo" / Mellitus N. Wanyama and Joseph B. Okong'o -- Interlude : Grassroots organizing and celebrity campaigns : the arts and AIDS activism in Morocco / Jeffrey Callen -- Siphithemba = We give hope : song and resilience in a South African Zulu HIV/AIDS struggle / Austin Chinagorom Okigbo -- Young and wise in Accra, Ghana : a musical response to AIDS / Angela Scharfenberger -- Singing as social order : the expressive economy of HIV/AIDS in Mbarara, Uganda / Judah M. Cohen -- "I'm a rich man, how can I die?" : circus performance as a means of HIV/AIDS education in Ethiopia / Leah Niederstadt -- Interlude : interview with VOLSET Youth Drama Group -- Kwaito and the culture of AIDS in South Africa / Gavin Steingo -- Positive disturbance : Tafash, Twig, HIV/AIDS, and hip hop in Uganda / Gregory Barz and Gerald C. Liu -- "Edzi ndi dolo" = "AIDS is mighty" : singing HIV/AIDS in Malawi, 1980-2008 / John Chipembere Lwanda -- Representing HIV/AIDS in Africa : pluralist photography and local empowerment / Roland Bleiker and Amy Kay -- Postlude : A tam-tam for Africa : In memoriam : Mamadou Konté (1945-2007) / Patricia Tang.
- AIDS (Disease) -- Africa -- Songs and music -- History and criticism. (LCSH)
- Music -- Social aspects -- Africa. (LCSH)
- AIDS (Disease) -- Social aspects -- Africa. (LCSH)
- AIDS (Disease) and the arts -- Africa. (LCSH)
- Aids - Afrika (sao)
- Aids - sociala aspekter (sao)
- AIDS (Disease) -- Africa (LCSH)
- AIDS (Disease) -- Social aspects (LCSH)
- 362.196/97920096 (DDC)
- Vp (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit