Voluntary action and illegal drugs [Elektronisk resurs] Health and society in Britain since the 1960s / Virginia Berridge, Alex Mold.
Berridge, Virginia, 1946- (författare)
Mold, Alex. (författare)
- ISBN 9780230274693
- Publicerad: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010
- Engelska 256 p.
- Relaterad länk:
http://dx.doi.org/10... (Table of Contents / Abstracts)
- Preface Introduction PART I: 1960s-1970s The 'Old': Self-help, Phoenix House and the Rehabilitation of Drug Users The 'New'? New Social Movements and Release Drug Voluntary Organisations and the State in the 1960s and 1970s PART II: 1980s Rolling Back the State? The Central Funding Initiative for Drug Services Activism and Health: The Impact of AIDS PART II: 1990s-2000s Business Models or the Revival of the State? Users: Service Users and the Drug User Movement Conclusion Bibliography.
- A unique exploration of the changing ideas about the place of voluntarism and health care within society in Britain since the 1960s. By considering the work of voluntary organisations with illegal drug users, the authors provide a lens through which wider developments in the relationship between the state and civil society are examined. -- Illegal drug use has been seen as a major problem facing British society since the 1960s, but relatively little consideration has been given to the way in which ordinary citizens sought to deal with its consequences. By setting up voluntary organisations, groups and individuals attempted to offer a different approach to drug use and the problems this caused to that being put forward by the state. This could be through lobbying for change and also in the form of service provision. Significantly, innovations in the drugs field often prefigured wider developments in voluntarism, in health and social care, and also in patient involvement. Drawing on extensive archival and interview based research, this book takes the voluntary activity around drugs as a case study through which wider developments in the relationship between the state and civil society can be explored.
- Volunteer workers in drug abuse programs -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Drug addiction -- Treatment -- History -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Drug addicts -- Services for -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Voluntarism -- History -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Voluntary health agencies -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Drug addicts -- Hsitory -- Great Britain. (LCSH)
- Drug & substance abuse: social aspects. (bicssc)
- Charities, voluntary services & philanthropy. (bicssc)
- British & Irish history. (bicssc)
- Postwar 20th century history, from c 1945 to c 2000. (bicssc)
- Social & cultural history. (bicssc)
- Society. (eflch)
- JFFH1 (ämneskategori)
- JKSN1 (ämneskategori)
- HBJD1 (ämneskategori)
- HBLW3 (ämneskategori)
- HBTB (ämneskategori)
- SOC (ämneskategori)
- 362.293537094109045 (DDC)
- Ohib (kssb/8 (machine generated))
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favorit
Ange som favorit
Uppsala universitetsbibliotek, Digitala biblioteket (Udix)Ange som favorit
Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Tillgänglig för användare inom Uppsala universitet) (Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA)
Lunds universitets bibliotek, Digitala resurser (Ldix)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.
Läs hela (Online access for Lund University) (Springer Palgrave History eBook Collection 2010)