A brief history of Brazil / Teresa A. Meade.
Meade, Teresa A., 1948- (författare)
- ISBN 978-0-8160-7788-5 (acid-free paper)
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Facts On File, c2010.
- Engelska xxiii, 280 p.
- List of illustrations -- List of maps -- Acknowledgments -- Preface to the second edition -- Introduction -- 1: Land and people before and after Portuguese exploration (prehistory to 1530) -- 2; Portuguese colony (1530-1800) -- 3: Society in early Brazil: slavery, patriarchy, and the church (1530-1889) -- 4: From colony to republic (1800-1889) -- 5: Constructing a nation of free laborers in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries -- 6: Society and politics in the first republic (1890-1930) -- 7: From Getulio Vargas to the military coup (1930-1964) -- 8: From military dictatorship to democracy (1964-2002) -- 9: Popular culture: music, sports, television, and cinema in today's Brazil -- 10: Brazil in the twenty-first century -- Appendixes -- 1: Basic facts about Brazil -- 2: Chronology -- 3: Bibliographic sources -- 4: Suggested readings -- Index.
- From the Publisher: "A Brief History of Brazil, Second Edition comes at a crucial time in Brazil's history. In the past seven years since the first edition of this book was published, the country has undergone dramatic changes. Foremost among them is the recent discovery of offshore oil and gas reserves that may allow Brazil not only to achieve self-sufficiency but also to become a major exporter of petroleum and biofuels. The nation is today richer, less in debt, and more active in international trade. It is more urbanized and making better use of its vast agricultural resources. Brazilians, although plagued by poverty, illiteracy, and crime, continue to contribute to international culture through music, dance, art, and, increasingly, film." A Brief History of Brazil, Second Edition covers all major events, people, and developments in Brazil from the precolonial and colonial periods through today. It also explores the hallmarks of Brazilian popular culture: soccer, Carnival, music, and television dramas. Basic facts, a chronology, a bibliography, and a list of suggested reading make up the appendixes.
- Brazil -- History. (LCSH)
- Brasilien -- historia (sao)
- F2521 (LCC)
- 981 (DDC)
- Kqdd (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 2 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favorit