Museum origins : readings in early museum history and philosophy / edited by Hugh H. Genoways and Mary Anne Andrei.
Genoways, Hugh H. (redaktör/utgivare)
Andrei, Mary Anne (redaktör/utgivare)
- ISBN 1598741977
- Publicerad: Walnut Creek, Calif. Left Coast Press, 2008
- Engelska 344 s.
- Geography / Strabo -- Rerum rusticarum libri tres / Marcus Terentius Varro -- The life and times of Anthony Wood, antiquary, of Oxford, 1632-1695, described by himself, collected from his diaries and papers / Andrew Clark -- My design in forming this museum / Charles Willson Peale -- The Mount Vernon Association / Sara Agnes Pryor -- A word about museums / Edwin Lawrence Godkin -- The history of the origin and development of museums / H.A. Hagen -- An address on the practical value of the American museum / Luigi Palma di Cesnola -- Purposes and aims of modern museums / Frederic A. Lucas -- The functions of museums / Paul M. Rea -- War museums / H. Bolton -- Museums and the people / Erwin H. Barbour -- State and local historical societies / Reuben Gold Thwaites -- On the ideal relations of public libraries, museums, and art gallery to the city -- Oliver C. Farrington -- The art museum and the public / Mariana Alley Van Rensselaer -- English art connoisseurship and collecting / Sir J. C. Robinson -- The use and abuse of museums / W. Stanley Jevons -- The relationships and responsibilities of museums / G. Brown Goode -- Modern museums / William Henry Flower -- Museum ideals of purpose and method / Benjamin Ives Gilman -- The new museum / John Cotton Dana -- The museum conscience / Joseph Grinnell -- Museum ethics / L. Earle Rowe -- The children's museum as an educator / Anna Billings Gallup -- The relation of the museum to the schools / Carolyn M. Rea -- If public libraries, why not public museums? / Edward S. Morse -- The museum in educational work / Frederick Starr -- The museum, the original exponent of visual education / Frank C. Baker -- The function of the museum instructor / Elizabeth M. Whitmore -- Museums and other classified collections as instruments of education in natural science / Henry Scadding -- The place of museums in education / Thomas Greenwood -- The museum's part in making of Americans / Laura W.L. Scales -- The museum's educational credo / Winifred E. Howe -- Museum for the people / Alfred Russel Wallace -- The improvements effected in modern museums of Europe and Australia / Gerard Krefft, with extensive quotations from John E. Gray -- The dullness of museums / John George Wood -- The anthropological exhibits at the American Museum of Natural History / George A. Dorsey -- Some principles of museum administration / Franz Boas -- Modern exhibitional tendencies of museums of natural history and ethnology designed for public use / Henry L. Ward -- On the educational uses of museums / Edward Forbes -- The social museum as an instrument of university teaching / Francis G. Peabody -- The relation of the art museum to a university / Edward W. Forbes -- Training museum workers / Homer R. Dill -- Museums and their purpose / N. H. Winchell -- Botanical gardens / Nathaniel Lord Britton -- The Missouri Botanical Garden / William Trelease -- The Arnold Arboretum : what it is and does / Charles Sprague Sargent -- Zoological gardens : a critical essay / Theodore Link -- The making of a zoological-park masterpiece / William T. Hornaday -- Administration of the public aquarium / Charles H. Townsend.
- "The museum profession began in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. With the development of institutions displaying natural science, history, and art were the debates over the role of these museums in society. This essential anthology collects 52 of the most important writings on museum philosophy dating from this formative period, written by the many of the American and European founders of the field. Genoways and Andrei contextualize these pieces with a series of introductions that show how the museum field developed within the social environment of the era. For those interested in museum history and philosophy or cultural history, this is an indispensable resource."--BOOK JACKET.
- Museer -- historia (sao)
- Museums -- History. (LCSH)
- Museums -- Philosophy. (LCSH)
- 069.09 (DDC)
- Bg:k (kssb/8)
Titeln finns på 3 bibliotek. Ange som favoritAnge som favoritAnge som favorit
Lunds universitets bibliotek, HT-biblioteken, LUX-biblioteket (Humanist- och teologcentrum) (Lux)Ange som favorit
Titeln i bibliotekets lokala katalog
Utlånad?Öppettider, adress m.m.